9244 SE Woodstock Blvd, Portland, OR 97266
- Tell us your name, the name of your business and what you offer.
- My name is Toan Trang. My business specializes in Taiwanese milk and flavored tea.
When and how did you start your business?
- My business started in July 2018.
What sacrifices have you had to make along the way?
- The sacrifice I have made is mainly having no time for myself the first 2 years I started. My business was like a baby, it needed a lot of attention.
How has the pandemic affected you and your business?
- The pandemic affected us greatly, both in sales and logistics. We were constantly needing to monitor guidelines from state and CDC health officials. And we made adjustments accordingly. We also did not know what to expect, which might be the hardest when it came down to the pandemic.
What are the things that make you happy while working?
- Being able to control my own destiny… Making my own decisions with the good and bad is what makes me happy while working.
What has been the most challenging part about owning a business?
- The challenging part about being a business owner is managing unique young personalities. But the most challenging part about owning a business is the customers. When you are an employee you have 1 boss. When you are an owner, any customer that walks into your establishment is technically your boss.
Can you tell us about your family?
- My family are Vietnamese immigrants and we moved to Oregon in 1987.
What do you enjoy about our community?
- I enjoy the diversity within our community.
What changes would you like to see in your community?
- The changes I want to see is for the city to take bigger actions to help out the homeless. It has had a big impact in our community.
A message you would like to share with teenagers.
- “Time does not wait for people.”
A message you would like to share to people in the Lents neighborhood.
- “Go Blazers!”